Date:      Sun, 15 Oct 2000 17:22:04 -0400 (EDT)
From:      doug@safeport.com
To:        Szilveszter Adam <sziszi@petra.hos.u-szeged.hu>
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: How do I upgrade from 3.X -> 4.X?

First - thank you for such a complete answer. I have been running
FreeBSD for about a year coming from BSDI. Not to start a religious war,
this is just my personal opinion, FreeBSD is better for me technically,
and economically :) It is an impressive effort and well organized (I am
a fan).

I have found cvsup fairly painless and pretty cut and dried; but I have
a T1 connection, some CS background, and a great mentor.

On Sun, 15 Oct 2000, Szilveszter Adam wrote:

[cut]
> > Was there a change in philosophy?
>
> I don't think so. If you look at the above, it only says that since this is
> a snapshot (generated daily) not an official release, there is a possibility
> that it might contain bugs that may have been corrected by tomorrow.
>
> I think the original philosophy behind this is something like this:

[cut]
Thanks, I think I understand. I think I still have some issues with the
wording but the FAQ is not on point to my problem and I need to think
about your answer and the FAQ content in relation to the question it is
answering.

> 4) There is -CURRENT which is a big no-no for any non-development purpose.

amen - it is not for the faint of heart :)

[cut]

> Go for it!:-) The more documentation, the better.
> I cannot do it since I have never actually tried it. This is the way docs
> are born: You find it out the hard way and document for everybody else.
> Unfortunately, people keep forgetting part 2 of the sentence...
> (Which is to remind me that I should write up a new formatting-media
> tutorial, because the present one is quite a bit outdated and I have just
> done a full migration of my system to a new, bigger disk.)

There is nothing I could find after pretty extensive searching. I have
also read/skimmed "The Complete FreeBSD" and the printed version of the
handbook without success, so assuming this is a common question I will
document when I am done.

_____
Douglas Denault
doug@safeport.com