Date:      Wed, 30 Jan 2002 21:56:30 -0500
From:      Tadayuki OKADA <tadayuki@mediaone.net>
To:        Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
Cc:        tadayuki.okada@windriver.com, mi@aldan.algebra.com, will@csociety.org, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/graphics/gd Makefile pkg-comment

On Wed, 30 Jan 2002 16:52:22 +0100 (CET)
Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net> wrote:
> >> We could have both, either a specific version, or a range of versions
> >> (Mikhail's proposal wrapped withhin your proposal); if we want to have
> >> both possibilities.
> > That's fine with me.
> > Do you have any problem if his proposal is not used by default?
>
> IMHO it is ugly to have an ifdef in many ports because of this. Can you
> come up with something which fits into bsd.port.mk?

Hmmmm.. But Mikhail haven't implemented such feature (i.e. version range check).
Just put regular expression to LIB_DEPENDS won't work.
from bsd.port.mk:
# LIB_DEPENDS   - A list of "lib:dir[:target]" tuples of other ports this
#                 package depends on.  "lib" is the name of a shared library.
#                 make will use "ldconfig -r" to search for the
#                 library.  Note that lib can not contain regular expressions.

And I don't know if he has such intention.
If he create a patch for bsd.port.mk, I can rewrite it to use optional knob.

Besides we don't know how many ports will use this feature,
we have only one example.
I don't think portmgr will accept such patch without obvious demand.

So I think 'ifdef' is only answer for now.

Regards,
--
Tadayuki OKADA