Date:      Mon, 17 Mar 2014 10:47:59 -0700
From:      Justin Hibbits <jrh29@alumni.cwru.edu>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Importing code from Linux

(This reply will look like a reply to myself, because it is, and I'm
not on the x11@ list, so dumbbell@'s reply is copy&pasted from the
archive)

On Fri, Mar 14, 2014 at 1:00 PM, Justin Hibbits <jrh29@alumni.cwru.edu> wro=
te:
> (I hope I'm not coming off hostile with this, it's not my intent).
>
> Looking at https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics I see there's a WIP for
> importing DRM from Linux 3.8.  When you do it, can you please keep in
> the non-x86 support?  It's already behind #ifdef's, so won't be used
> in x86 code anyways.

Yes, the goal is to be as close as possible to Linux original code, to
ease future updates.

> Big endian/non-x86 support was pulled out when
> merging in the Radeon KMS driver, which only makes enabling PowerPC
> support that much more onerous.  Looking at the Linux code, leaving
> that in place does not add much complexity at all.

I don't remember removing explicitely PowerPC bits from the Radeon
driver. If I did so, that's a mistake.

I still have your patch to make it build on PowerPC and I think I never
answered you... I'm sorry :-/ Were you able to test it?

--=20
Jean-S=C3=A9bastien P=C3=A9dron

There were no changes in the Radeon driver specific to PowerPC, but
there were changes related to ACPI that were either removed, or taken
before they had been added to Linux, I don't know at all which, since
I didn't follow it closely until it was imported into head.
Specifically, ACPI is only conditionally used in the Linux driver,
with the radeon_acpi_{init,fini}() functions being stubbed out in
radeon.h, along with other ACPI conditionals, whereas these
conditionals are missing in the FreeBSD radeonkms driver.

Unfortunately I haven't been having much luck at all with Xorg lately
on my 32-bit PowerPC machines, the only ones I own with Radeon cards,
and therefore which would support DRI.  When I find some time, this
week or the weekend, I'll retry and file a proper bug report for it (
it simply exits on all my 32-bit machines, but works fine on my 64-bit
ppc.  More details will go into the PR).  When I get X working again
on these machines, I'll be able to test the patch and report if it
works at all.

DRI has never worked well on FreeBSD/powerpc, and I would like to see
it work completely and correctly with the new driver.  It would be
breathing new life into these 9+ year old machines.

- Justin