Date:      Mon, 30 Jan 1995 12:18:23 +1100 (DST)
From:      Carey Nairn <cp_nairn@cc.utas.edu.au>
To:        David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
Cc:        tucker@mdso.vf.ge.com, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Linksys Ether16 NE2000 card problems

> >Hello, I'm having trouble getting the above mentioned NE2000 compat. card
> >to work in a new FreeBSD 2.0 system.  The card is configured with base_port
> >at 0x300, and IRQ 5.  It seems to be probed correctly and is detected as
> >a 16 bit card (correct).   The machine is relatively empty, and I'm sure
> >there is no other card installed on conflicting addresses/IRQ's.
> >The machine is a 386/25 with 4MB mem.  (Small I know, but it won't be
> >running a Window sys...)
> >
> >Symptoms:
> >   "ping's" to other machines on the network seem fine - no dropped packets or
> >	unreasonable delays.
> >   "telnet" out works ok for short (2 minutes) periods, and then freezes.  No
> >	characters typed on console appear on screen.  ^C or ^D does nothing.
> > 	^\ causes seg fault (only way to exit...)
> >   "ftp" works (and fails) the same as telnet.
> >
> >I only have the minimal binaries installed... I'm trying to ftp the bindist
> >without much luck as you can imagine...
>
>    This might be caused by a bug in the (2.0) driver that was fixed a few
> weeks ago. Unfortunately there have been many changes to the driver, some of
> which will make it not backward source compatible with 2.0. The simple remedy
> would be to upgrade to the _next_ snapshot (the current snapshot is very
> broken). I'm expecting this to be available in less than a week.
>
> -DG

Was this problem related only to the ed driver or was it more
widespread..   I am experiencing the same problems and have tried both
an Ne2000 compatible card and a 3Com etherlink III card (which uses the
ep driver).

any help would be appreciated..
Carey Nairn                     ! email : Carey.Nairn@its.utas.edu.au
Networks and Communications     ! phone : (002) 20 7419
Information Technology Services ! fax   : (002) 20 7898
University of Tasmania.         !