Date:      Sun, 28 Aug 2011 15:22:34 -0400
From:      Jerry <jerry@seibercom.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to handle upgrade of libnotify when cups-client-1.4.8 is marked as broken

On Sun, 28 Aug 2011 14:45:42 -0400
Sahil Tandon articulated:

> I am sorry users have had to "intervene" in managing their systems,
> but rather than removing the option entirely, I prefer mandree@'s more
> structural suggestion of re-prompting the user when defaults change.
> In the meantime, a note in UPDATING about explicitly disabling the
> GNUTLS option for cups ports is probably appropriate.  I have copied
> the maintainer in hopes that he will consider it.

Sahil, I think you are being a little to flippant regrading this
problem. Obviously any end user is responsible for maintaining his/her
system. It is apparently that FreeBSD does not test updates as
rigorously as other OSs might. Therefore, when the problem was first
discovered in regards to "cups" and "GNUTLS" it is obviously that the
end user would have to manually correct the problem. However, this is
no longer day 0. The particulars of this case are well know. IMHO, a
notice should have been inserted into the UPDATING file immediately --
in other words as soon as the phenomena was confirmed. To allow the
port to be shipped with a known problem borders on criminal. At the
very lest, it displays gross indifference to the users of FreeBSD.

Nothing here is specifically blaming your for this problem. It takes
more than one individual to screw things up this thoroughly. However,
it takes only one person with a set of balls to get a solution
implemented. The fact that you are actually going to wait for the
maintainer the port in question to give his permission for you to issue
a warning and hopefully a fix for this problem is pathetic. Seriously,
and I don't mean any disrespect, but what government agency do you work
for? :)

--
Jerry ✌
jerry+ports@seibercom.net

The climate of Bombay is such that its inhabitants have to live
elsewhere.