Date:      Wed, 3 May 2000 14:10:00 -0700
From:      Matthew Hunt <mph@astro.caltech.edu>
To:        Caleb Walker <cwalker@powercomenergy.com>
Cc:        "Bsdquestions (E-mail)" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: xntpd problems

On Wed, May 03, 2000 at 02:02:14PM -0700, Caleb Walker wrote:

> does any body know why I gets this message when the xntpd stops:
>
> : time error 25117.143550 is way too large (set clock manually)

Your clock is off by 7 hours, and xntpd will not make corrections
that large, because it assumes something besides the usual clock
drift is amiss.

Perhaps you want your clock to be Pacific Daylight Time, but have
set your UTC clock to PDT instead?  Try running "date" with no
arguments:

$ date
Wed May  3 14:08:18 PDT 2000

If the time matches the clock on the wall, but the timezone isn't
right for where you are, try copying /usr/share/zoneinfo/America/Los_Angeles
to /etc/localtime, and using the "date" command to set the time; the
example in the manual page gives:

#     The command:
#
#           date 1432
#
#     sets the time to 2:32 PM, without modifying the date.

Run "date" to make sure it's sane, and fire up xntpd again.

--
Matthew Hunt <mph@astro.caltech.edu> * Stay close to the Vorlon.
http://www.pobox.com/~mph/           *