Date:      Thu, 24 Feb 2005 01:18:15 -0500
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        Shawn B <shawnblan@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Question about FTP

Shawn B wrote:
> I am new to FreeBSD, and I am wondering what good,
> easy-to-use and reliable FTP server FreeBSD can use. I
> tried ProFTP, and had problem after problem. When I
> figured out how to fix one error, I had another, after
> another, after another. Are there any good
> alternatives? I am using FreeBSD-4.8.

You might start by using the ftpd that ships with FreeBSD-- see "man ftpd" for
how to configure it.  Most people would find that or proftpd to be fine, but
there are slightly over 100 FTP-related programs available under
/usr/ports/ftp if you want to look at others.

One of the BSD ships with lukembsd, I think, and ncftpd is reasonable, too.

> Also, how do you get Apache to point to a specific
> directory? And, how would I use multipule domains on
> the single machine, pointing them to a separate
> directory? Would I need multipule domains?

The DocumentRoot directive in httpd.conf, possibly located at
/usr/local/etc/apache/httpd.conf?  Or use symlinks and set "Options
FollowSymLinks".

Using the NameVirtualHost and VirtualHost directives.

...and yes, respectively.

[ If you're not sure where the apache config file is, use the locate command
to find it.  The file is intended to be self-documenting, so search for the
terms above and change those sections appropriately.  There's also a manual in
the default Apache document root or at www.apache.org. ]

--
-Chuck