Date:      Wed, 06 Oct 1999 20:27:50 -0500
From:      Ford Prefect <fordp@guide.chi.il.us>
To:        itetcu@go.ro
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [Q] FreeBSD on dual PII

From the FAQ:
SMP is supported in 3.0-STABLE and later releases only.

But you will need to rebuild the kernel. The info you need is as follows.
(From the GENERIC kernel, uncomment as needed)

# To make an SMP kernel, the next two are needed
#options        SMP                     # Symmetric MultiProcessor Kernel
#options        APIC_IO                 # Symmetric (APIC) I/O
# Optionally these may need tweaked, (defaults shown):
#options        NCPU=2                  # number of CPUs
#options        NBUS=4                  # number of busses
#options        NAPIC=1                 # number of IO APICs
#options        NINTR=24                # number of INTs

See:
http://lxr.linux.no/freebsd/source/i386/conf/GENERIC#L52
or
http://lxr.linux.no/freebsd/source/i386/conf/LINT#L87

or just /sys/i386/conf/LINT and /sys/i386/conf/GENERIC

-Steve

At 02:11 AM 10/7/99 +0200, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Does FreeBSD run on a Dual PII system ?
>If yes, do I have to rebuild the kernel (and how exactly, as i don`t
>remember seeing in LINT anything about that).
>
>Thanks,
>Ionut
>Ion Mihai Tetcu
>itetcu@go.ro

 \ Ford Prefect                   Ahead of my time.    \
  \ fordp@guide.chi.il.us           but only by a week. \
   \ homepage.interaccess.com/~fordp                     \
     \          ((In esperanto where available))           \