Date:      Tue, 29 Apr 1997 19:27:57 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        config@freebsd.org, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au
Subject:   Re: Startup userconfig parsing

>Put all our stuff in /boot on the boot filesystem.  If /boot/kernel.rc
>exists, it's loaded unconditionally.  If /boot/kernel.rc.<kernelname>

It shouldn't be in a subdirectory.  Putting it in the root directory
allows simpler file systems and simpler fs support in the boot loader.

The main config file belongs in the _root_ file system next to the kernel.
Only configuration info for the boot loader belongs in the boot file
system.

>Now, assuming that the space just after the kernel is available, I
>propose a header, something like :
>
>0xmagicnumber, 0xlength,
>"rcfile 1 name"
>"line 1"
>"line ..."
>0xmagicnumber, 0xlength,
>"rcfile 2 name"

Overengineered.

>A suitable API for modules to extract this information can be devised.

getc().

>For userconfig stuff, entries would probably be plain userconfig commands
>prefixed appropriately, eg. :
>
>userconfig port ed0 0x300

If the commands are unique then you don't need keys to say which subsystem
should parse them.

Bruce