Date:      Thu, 23 May 2002 15:17:45 +0100
From:      Jez Hancock <munk@munkboxen.mine.nu>
To:        FreeBSD questions List <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   [munk@munkboxen.mine.nu: Re: FreeBSD Router with ppp to DSL: can not connect from MS Clients to Internet; ping on MS Clients works - http, ftp don't works]

--HcAYCG3uE/tztfnV

--
Jez Hancock              - munk@munkboxen.mine.nu
http://munkboxen.mine.nu - FreeBSD network
http://www.freebsd.org   - Probably the best OS in the world...

--HcAYCG3uE/tztfnV

Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 15:11:03 +0100
From: Jez Hancock <munk@munkboxen.mine.nu>
To: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Th=2ESchlo=DFbauer?= <info@schlossbauer.de>

On Thu, May 23, 2002 at 03:49:32PM +0200, Th.Schloßbauer wrote:
> Hy,
>
> I have a problem with the setup of my FreeBSD(4.5)-Router and MS-Clients. For setup my T-DSL connection with FreeBSD there is enough information on the web. This works fine. On the FreeBSD Box ping, http, ftp works. I use ppp with nat. But I can't get work http, ftp on the Win Clients. Only ping works (with abs. IP adresses and symbolic).
>
> What can I do to enable the MS-Clients for http, ftp, ... connections. Do I have to setup more routing parameters. All the articels on the web are only about the setup of the DSL connection. But this was no problem. My problem are the steps after this.
Presuming NAT is setup correctly, it shouuld be enough to point all of
your windows clients to the FreeBSD router as a gateway and for DNS
enter in a primary DNS server on the MS machines.

Do this for each MS machine:
(Network applet, select the tcp/ip properties page for the
network card -> freebsd box)
1. Set 'Gateway' to IP addr of bsd router.
2. Set 'DNS' to know good DNS server.
3. Add the following to your c:\windows_dir\hosts file:

	# change these for your setup:
	bsdrouter_name		1.1.1.1

3. Reboot.

If NAT is working correctly on the bsd router, you should be able to
ping the external network / internet from the MS clients (from DOS, try
and ping say the DNS server(s) you entered in the DNS tab).

If this doesn't work (and you can ping the BSD router ok from MS), then
there is probably an issue with the NAT on the router.  In that case we
would need more info on how you have NAT setup (including brief snippets
of your config files).

Good luck.

> Thanks.
You're welcome.