Date:      Thu, 10 Jul 1997 06:23:45 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        Petri Helenius <pete@sms.fi>
Cc:        Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Miromedia PC/TV

Petri Helenius:
 | >  |  I'm trying to use Miromedia's PC/TV on with the latest bt848 driver
 | >  |that is from the same site than the fxtv application. For simplicity
 | >  |I'm feeding it PAL input into the composite video connector. It seems
 | >  |that for some reason it's running in NTSC mode anyway, that is the
 | >  |picture is very distorted and without colors.
 | >  |
 | >  |Anyone have ideas what to try?
 | >
 | >       fxtv -inputFormat pal -antennaFreqSet weurope -tunerMode antenna
 | >
 |By helpful hand of tomppa@fidata.fi I tried this already and it didn't
 |change the behaviour. However in the win95 land I get this card
 |working "fine" (as can be expected for that environment :-)
 |
 |So there must be something different with the Miro card the
 |driver/fxtv overlooks compared to hauppauge which works better.
 |
 |So my options practically are (in no special preference):
 |- return the cards and get the hauppauge ones
 |- work with you and get the MIRO specifics of the driver straight

 |I'm tracking 3.0-current on the box I'm playing with the card and I'm
 |not doing any "real" work with it (yet) so it's easy to reboot/etc frequently.

Steve Passe's the tuner expert.  Maybe he can lend a hand or offer some
advice on which of the options you mentioned would be best.  It seems that
the driver might have some problems with your tuning standard.  The tuner
standard support is implemented in the driver, with fxtv just acting as a
pass-through for channel numbers and frequency standard names.

Out of curiousity, have you tried plugging a PAL VCR up to the RCA jacks (I
don't know if the PAL WinTV has these or not; the NTSC Wincast does)?  I'm
curious if the capture part works well with an external tuner in place.
Be sure to select the Video input instead of Tuner.

Randall