Date:      Sun, 21 Aug 2016 14:42:35 -0500
From:      Pedro Giffuni <pfg@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Akshay Jaggi <akshay1994.leo@gmail.com>, =?UTF-8?Q?Roger_Pau_Monn=c3=a9?= <royger@freebsd.org>
Cc:        soc-status@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Grant Table Userspace Device - Status Update

On 08/21/16 11:29, Akshay Jaggi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 21 August 2016 at 21:29, Roger Pau Monné <royger@freebsd.org
> <mailto:royger@freebsd.org>> wrote:
>

>     OK, no problem, as I said, it looks like this is some kind of bad
>     interaction between the grant table device and md devices, it's worth
>     looking into it, but it's not a blocking issue in any case.
>

> Mhm. I'll first fix the issues in the xen-gnttab code, and then try to
> look into the interaction when I get time (I'll get busy because of the
> move, already delayed by a month.)
>

>     I've already reviewed all the remaining FreeBSD code, and I plan to
>     commit
>     it once 11.0 is released, so you still have a couple of weeks to
>     look into
>     the md issue if you want.
>

> Oh! I thought we'll be able to get this in now.

Well, on one hand the schedule for the GSoC is unrelated to our release
cycles (features for 11.0 were frozen a month ago), on the other hand
all features go into the development branch first (12-current at this
time) and are later merged, if applicable, to a stable branch.

The idea is to guarantee stability making sure the code has lived for a
while in the current tree and has received wider testing. FreeBSD has
a reputation to maintain and committers usually don't take risks.

> In that case, I guess I should submit the links to the differentials for
> the final evaluation. Let me know if this works.

I should clarify this, and it applies to all GSoC projects: your mentors
should *already* have all the information they need for your evaluation.
You are always welcome to continue enhancing your code
and interacting with your mentors and the community at large but your
mentor(s) is expected to evaluate only what you did up to the "pencils
down" date.

Regards,

Pedro.