Date:      Tue, 19 Sep 1995 17:18:10 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au, rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com
Cc:        current@freebsd.org, rkw@dataplex.net, wollman@lcs.mit.edu
Subject:   Re: Which SUP files are available and where ?

>> >For those who have a high-speed net connection, CTM is a lose.  It's
>>
>> This assumes an infinitely high-speed server or a small number of
>> clients.

>You run out of ethernet before you run out of CPU power on anything
>faster than a DX4/100 with 32MB of memory doing sup services.  A
>Pentium 100 can keep a 100Mb/s pipe clear full of sup with 64Mb of
>memory.  I would call that very very far from ``infinitely high-speed''
>and actually falls into the mid-range systems for me.

I thought that the CPU ran out of power before the pipe was half full,
even doing raw data movement for nfs.  For sup it will have to traverse
file systems so it will be hard to get more than 1MB of throughput per
file system.  How much throughput can you get through sup?  Is it as
fast as cvs co ;-).

When did FreeFall get a 100 Mb/s pipe?

Bruce