Date:      Fri, 21 Jul 2000 13:33:49 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.osd.bsdi.com>
To:        Bill Trost <trost@cloud.rain.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: problems upgrading to 4.1-RC2

> 1. I tried to use "blah.blah.blah:8080" as my HTTP proxy, and it didn't

I don't think proxies work for HTTP installs right now.  It should
still work for FTP, however, as the dialog says.

> 2. The built-in URL's are all wrong -- they try to look in
> /pub/FreeBSD/releases/, not the /pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/ where the
> release candidate actually lives.

Actually, the built-in URLs are fine given the way sysinstall works
right now (and has always worked), it's just that the deputy release
engineers forgot to create the appropriate symlinks to the
snapshots. :)

> 3. Go to the "options" menu from the root menu, try to set the "media
> type", and sysinstall will ultimately panic.  Might just remove the
> option to set media type from the options menu.

I need more details.  Set the media type to what?  Exactly where
does it "ultimately panic?"

> 4. Going through the normal upgrade path, if you select option 9
> ("Options") on the media select menu, you get the standard option menu.
> "Q"uitting the option menu takes you back to the root menu!  From there,

The options screen is a botch, has always been a botch, and needs to
be thought out better or at least removed from a number of the places
where it's referenced.

> 5. No XFree86.  I've already mentioned this to John Baldwin.

Normal for early snapshot releases; packages and XFree86 don't always
show up until later in the process.

- Jordan