Date:      Wed, 30 Jan 2002 23:01:44 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mikhail Teterin <mi@aldan.algebra.com>
To:        tadayuki@mediaone.net
Cc:        Alexander@Leidinger.net, tadayuki.okada@windriver.com, will@csociety.org, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/graphics/gd Makefile pkg-comment

On 30 Jan, Tadayuki OKADA wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Jan 2002 16:52:22 +0100 (CET)
> Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net> wrote:

>> IMHO it is ugly  to have an ifdef in many ports  because of this. Can
>> you come up with something which fits into bsd.port.mk?

> Mikhail haven't  implemented such feature (i.e.  version range check).
> Just  put   regular  expression   to  LIB_DEPENDS  won't   work.

Why  would  not  it?  It  can be  just  ``libB''  or  ``libB.[2-5]''  or
``libB.[1-36-9]'' or  ``libtcl8?'' (the  last example denotes,  that any
Tcl release 8.x will do). The regexps are pretty powerful...

> from bsd.port.mk:

> # LIB_DEPENDS   - A list of "lib:dir[:target]" tuples of other ports
> #                 this package depends on. "lib" is the name of a
> #                 shared library. make will use "ldconfig -r" to
> #                 search for the library. Note that lib can not
> #                 contain regular expressions.

> And I don't know if he has such intention.

Yes, it is  pretty easy. The comment  can be modified to  "Note that lib
can be a regular expression".

> If he create  a patch for bsd.port.mk, can rewrite  it to use optional
> Iknob.

I don't  understand the need  for the  knob nor its  specification. What
will it look like? A boolean? A list?

> Besides we  don't know how many  ports will use this  feature, we have
> only one example.

Plenty. Almost anything, that depends on jpeg, png, pbm, Tcl -- whatever
else is in /usr/local/lib...

> I don't think  portmgr will accept such patch  without obvious demand.
> So I think 'ifdef' is only answer for now.

Build it, and they will come.

	-mi