Date:      Thu, 27 Mar 1997 23:50:00 -0500 (EST)
From:      C Matthew Curtin <cmcurtin@research.megasoft.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Andrew Perry <andrew@python.shoal.net.au>, chat@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: SPAM -- Aren't you the person....? (fwd)

>>>>> "Jordan" == Jordan K Hubbard <jkh@time.cdrom.com> writes:

Jordan> I suggest firing off angry letters to the various ISPs
Jordan> involved whenever this happens (I do).  Enough letters and you
Jordan> can guarantee that the user(s) involved will generally be
Jordan> toast afterwards.  In more extreme cases, I use "whois" and
Jordan> make some phone calls.

Me too...

Here's a form letter that I have... I fill in the various pieces, and
add any necessary customization, PGP sign it, and fire it off.  I
actually get a fair number of notes from the ISPs a day or two later
informing me that the problem has been dealt with.  Also, I scan the
text for any URLs... if they're advertising a web site, I copy this to
the contacts of those hosting or feedin the site, and also look in the
headers for an ad about which spam software was used.  (I collect all
of these, and like to bounce a copy of every spam I get to every one
of the spam-software vendors :-)

One spammer kept changing ISPs, after being killed from every one he
blasted his spam from.  I dug around and found a domain name that he
registered and called him on the phone.  I was very clear and direct
in stating my extreme distaste with his apparant inability to play
well with others, and he assured me that I'd receive no more of his

------------------------- begin form letter --------------------------
The following SPAM came in from
perhaps initiated by

This spammer appears to be a customer of
which is a customer of
which is a customer of
Contacts for all of these zones have been copied.

Spamming is an intolerable abuse of our already overworked finite
shared resources for the purpose of selfish, shameless personal
profit.  Please insititute a strong anit-spam policy, and refuse
service for people who seem so hell-bent on killing what's left of the
'net.  Please refer to http://www.vix.com/spam/ for more information.

Thank you for dealing with spammers appropriately.  If you have need of
contacting me further, please feel free to do so.  Email is by far the
best way to reach me.

Matt Curtin
Chief Scientist
Megasoft Online