Date:      Thu, 15 Apr 2004 03:49:42 +0200
From:      Peter Schuller <peter.schuller@infidyne.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Vinum: How to safely remove a volume/drive from the configuration

> > As I interpret the manpage, the use of '-f' should not be required. And
> > indeed, I assume that '-f' should never be needed unless in extreme
> > cases?
>
> In this case, you need the -f flag.  The documentation is a bit fuzzy.

Thanks! What is it about the situation that means -f is needed?

In any case, it seems -f does not help. I did a stop on the test/test3 volumes
followed by an 'rm -r -f test'. I received no error message, but 'vinum l'
still lists the test volume - except now it is still in state 'down', rather
than having reverted to 'up'. I also tried explicitly stopping the
plexes/subdisks, but got 'device busy' (on the plexes/sds). I have included
the full output of 'vinum l' below as it shows up now, in case I have missed
something.

Btw, I should mention that for reasons having to do with my previous
testing/playing with vinum, the plex/subdisk relationsships are not what one
might think by inspecting the output of 'vinium l'. Here's the output of
'vinum printconfig' (plus manual line wrapping to make it more readable):

drive alpha device /dev/da0a
drive backup_a_1 device /dev/ad1s1b
drive backup_a_2 device /dev/ad0s1a
drive beta device unknown
volume test
volume test3
volume backup_a
plex name test.p0 org concat vol test
plex name test.p1 org concat vol test
plex name test3.p0 org concat vol test3
plex name backup_a.p0 org concat vol backup_a
plex name backup_a.p1 org concat vol backup_a
sd name test2.p0.s0 drive alpha plex test.p0 len 20480s
	driveoffset 819465s plexoffset 0s
sd name test2.p1.s0 drive beta plex test.p1 len 20480s
	driveoffset 819465s plexoffset 0s
sd name test3.p0.s0 drive alpha plex test3.p0 len 40960s
	driveoffset 839945s plexoffset 0s
sd name backup_a.p0.s0 drive backup_a_1 plex backup_a.p0 len 39936000s
	driveoffset 265s plexoffset 0s
sd name backup_a.p1.s0 drive backup_a_2 plex backup_a.p1 len 39936000s
	driveoffset 265s plexoffset 0s

And 'vinum l':

3 drives:
D alpha                 State: up       /dev/da0a       A: 17244/488 MB
(3532%)
D backup_a_1            State: up       /dev/ad1s1b     A: 31/19531 MB (0%)
D backup_a_2            State: up       /dev/ad0s1a     A: 39/19539 MB (0%)
D beta                  State: referenced       unknown A: 0/0 MB

3 volumes:
V test                  State: down     Plexes:       2 Size:         10 MB
V test3                 State: down     Plexes:       1 Size:         20 MB
V backup_a              State: up       Plexes:       2 Size:         19 GB

5 plexes:
P test.p0             C State: up       Subdisks:     1 Size:         10 MB
P test.p1             C State: faulty   Subdisks:     1 Size:         10 MB
P test3.p0            C State: up       Subdisks:     1 Size:         20 MB
P backup_a.p0         C State: up       Subdisks:     1 Size:         19 GB
P backup_a.p1         C State: up       Subdisks:     1 Size:         19 GB

5 subdisks:
S test2.p0.s0           State: up       D: alpha        Size:         10 MB
S test2.p1.s0           State: crashed  D: beta         Size:         10 MB
S test3.p0.s0           State: up       D: alpha        Size:         20 MB
S backup_a.p0.s0        State: up       D: backup_a_1   Size:         19 GB
S backup_a.p1.s0        State: up       D: backup_a_2   Size:         19 GB

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <peter.schuller@infidyne.com>'
Key retrieval: Send an E-Mail to getpgpkey@scode.org
E-Mail: peter.schuller@infidyne.com Web: http://www.scode.org