Date:      Thu, 18 Sep 1997 03:29:36 -0700
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sio aware pnp driver and resource conflict detection

Luigi Rizzo scribbled this message on Sep 18:
> > well... I was wondering if people would like for me to import my changes
> > to make sio a PnP aware driver...  I would provide a PnP flag that
> > would prevent the card from being probed...
>
> perhaps you can do it the same ways as I did for the sound code, while
> waiting for the extent stuff to be ready for prime time...

well...  a couple reasons... is because then once the extent stuff is
ready for prime time, we will then have to go along and rip all that
code out from PnP aware drivers...  the only overhead is forcing you
to malloc a struct with isa_device as a part.. but then we reclaim this
space by reducing the size of struct pnp_device, which each driver has
their own copy of it...

so in the long run, memory use is actually lower (assuming more pnp
drivers than pnp cards)...

> > currently the pnp system doesn't prevent you from doing stupid things
> > like configuring two pnp cards to colid with each other...  and I could
> > possibly fix this before the snap comes out...
>
> not sure this is worth the effort, in a manual config should not get in
> the way of the user's will, however stupid it can be...

good point.. but the problem is that right now pnp doesn't check for
resource conflicts.. so if you config two pnp devices, and then they
both probe/attach, they use the same resources.. while that would fail
when one is an isa device...

what we could do in the meantime is do something like the isa does now
and use the reconfig if the attach routing changes the isa_device
struct...  the quickest fix (I am working on the best fix) would be to
teach the attach routine to use the reconfig flag in isa_device, and
teach pnp_configure about reconfig so that it will check resources
(using haveseen_isadev) before attaching, then if attach returns with
reconfig, just do what the isa code does currently in config_isadev_c...
any takes for this?

--
  John-Mark Gurney                          Modem/FAX: +1 541 683 6954
  Cu Networking

  Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD