Date:      Wed, 24 Nov 2004 15:59:52 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@chuckr.org>
To:        "Ernst W. Winter" <ewinter@ewinter.org>
Cc:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: acroread on the amd64

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004, Ernst W. Winter wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Nov 2004, Chuck Robey wrote:

> > > well I would suggest that you should try "xpdf" or "gpdf" and "gv" as
> > > that would cover that part well, I never have used the Acrobat reader
> > > as these other always done whatever I needed them for and I have
> > > compiled them now with a AMD64 here and they behave well. I would
> > > say, try it.
> >
> > Trying to get apsfilter working, and it wants acroread, so I'm going to
> > *try* that first.  In my own experience, although it's rare, there ARE
> > those docs that get read by acroread, and not by xpdf, I've seen them.
> >
> well I never used that option and with xpdf there where a time when
> there where some hickups, but so far no more, also as I said there is
> gpdf and it works well and I have seen others with kde that do the
> job well, so far I have collected some Gigabyte of documents as I do
> research for people and neve had any problems and do I can't comment
> on Acroread either.

Well, you did say (above) that you didn't try acroread, so I guess you
probably didn't even realize that one of the files that you might have
given up on, "garbage", actually might have printed with acroread.  Not
common .... maybe not worth the work, I dunno, the damn install from Adobe
is very , very unfriendly, I will have to hack the heck out of it to get
it to work, not sure I want to invest all that skullsweat.

I do know how to do that, but I don't think it's worth too much time.

> Ernst
>
> --
> Ernst Winter  ewinter@ewinter.org "Nec scire fas est onmnia" --Horaz
>     Microsoft: Where do you want to go today?
>     Linux:     Where do you want to go tomorrow?
>     BSD:       Are you guys coming, or what?

Chuck Robey         | Interests include C & Java programming, FreeBSD,
chuckr@chuckr.org   | electronics, communications, and SF/Fantasy.

New Year's Resolution:  I will not sphroxify gullible people into looking up
fictitious words in the dictionary (on the wall at my old fraternity,
Signa Phi Nothing).