Date:      Wed, 07 Aug 2002 11:02:12 +1000
From:      BSD Freak <bsd-freak@mbox.com.au>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   There must be a better way to maintain older systems

Hi all,

I am responsible for maintaining 14 FreeBSD, 1 Windows 2000 and 1
Solaris servers at three sites. While I am certianly no fan of Windows
2000 or the commercial UNIX distributions I have to say they take up a
lot less of my time to maintain. For example I can download (binary
packages) patches and "Service Packs"/hotfixes to patch bugs and
vulnerabilities and then I forget about it. Upgrades of OS happen once
every 3-4 years (and usually accomany a hardware upgrade which makes it
a bit neater and less risky).

With FreeBSD however I find myself upgrading every six months or so
when a new version is released. I spend half my time upgrading the 14
production servers (in the middle of the night usually!), then by the
time I have gotten around to the last system, I'm usually only a month
or so away from the next -RELEASE and I I have to do it all again if I
am to keep my systems secure and current.

I find myself thinking there *MUST* be a better way. I am quite happy
with the stability/features of older versions (ie 4.4-R 4.5-R etc).
Surely I don't have go through this upgrade cycle every six months! It
would be great to just run a pkg_add which would overwrite any insecure
binaries with newer patched ones (and do an actual binary upgrade only
when absolutely required - e.g. every 2-3 years). I am even thinking of
starting such a project myself.

Am I missing something? (i.e. is there a better way?)
(If someone tells me to cvsup and do a makeworld on my busy production
servers I will scream!)