Date:      Tue, 18 Apr 2000 07:53:40 +1000
From:      "Doug Young" <dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au>
To:        <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>, "m l mack" <mlmack@speakeasy.org>
Subject:   Re: newbies

Hear hear !!!!!!!!!!!!

All those experts out there please take notice

Someone new to a subject doesn't need to know about all the bells &
whistles, provision of information suitable for an expert will only confuse
them further.
I believe that documentation should be prepared by the most junior person
available and not some geek with 458 years experience .... at least then it
will probably contain ALL the necessary steps.

The basics of unix are for the most part extremely simple ... its only the
documentation that makes it complicated. I've been working on an entry level
install / configure text for members of our non-profit internet access
group, and in its basic text  form this reduces the information needed to
some 7 pages of A4.
I'm now putting together a picturebook format so that its even more explicit
:)
The document is intended to allow a total newbie with no prior experience of
unix / linux / etc to install FreeBSD & configure it as a gateway, with
sendmail, cuciopop, ppp, apache all working with no aggro in only an hour or
two.