Date:      Wed, 12 Nov 2003 23:33:07 +1030
From:      Malcolm Kay <malcolm.kay@internode.on.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Programmatic control of screen-saver

I have a machine controlling a tester. Tester control and display is via =
a=20
virtual console terminal. (X is not installed on the machine)

I need to blank the screen (screen saver style) when there is no terminal
activity for some time -- much the same as as normal screen-saver=20
operation except that screen output as well as keyboard input should
inhibit the screen-saver taking over or cause the normal terminal display
to be restored if the saver is already in effect.

I would hope that there might be some ioctl call to the terminal which=20
could be used from within the tester control software to wake up the=20
terminal or prevent the screen saver taking over until a further timeout
has elapsed. I've not been able to find such an ioctl call parameter.

Does anyone have any ideas or a solution please?

(FreeBSD 4.8-Release)

Malcolm Kay