Date:      Wed, 5 Apr 1995 00:28:43 +0800 (CST)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: New installation notes

On Mon, 3 Apr 1995, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:

> > But I were to do
> > something like two 'dd if=blah of=/dev/null bs=65536' on files from
> > each drive simultaneously, I should still be able to hit close to the
> > maximum throughput, no?
>
> Depends on what maximum throughput you are trying to hit.

    The disk-to-bus throughput per disk.  If the drives are only
capable of about 2 megabytes per second, then assuming the aic7xxx
driver and the AHA-2940 can handle far in excess of that, I should be
able to push close to 4 megabytes per second through the bus?

> I have done dual drive concurrent iozones using 3MB/sec drives and
> saw a very small difference in the numbers for each drive compared
> to running them seperately (ie, the bottleneck was really the drives
> and not the SCSI bus, controller or PCI bus.)

    Right, this is what I want to determine.  The bottleneck won't be
the Pentium CPU, the PCI bus or the SCSI controller.  I figure it's
the disk, but I want to make sure it isn't the driver.
taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw <-- work ........ play --> taob@io.org