Date:      Mon, 23 Apr 2007 14:18:46 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Wes Morgan <morganw@chemikals.org>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: apparent filesystem-related hangs

On Sat, 21 Apr 2007, Kris Kennaway wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 21, 2007 at 10:51:10PM -0400, Wes Morgan wrote:
>> I have several filesystems built on top of a gconcat volume consisting of
>> 2 300gb and 1 500gb drive. The /usr partition constitutes the bulk of it.
>> The volume is sitting around 95% full, and twice I've had the system
>> become "hung" in what I believe are filesystem operations. It seems to
>> crop up when rtorrent tries to create files that would fill up the system,
>> but of course it doesn't actually reserve it until it is used. Any running
>> process remains responsive until it needs to access the disk.
>>
>> The system was running a fairly recent 6.2-stable, March 29, but I've
>> since updated to the most recent -stable.
>>
>> If anyone can give me some pointers as to how to tell exactly where these
>> processes are hanging, I can try to reproduce it... But it takes a while
>> to fsck the volume so I don't want to have to try too many things. If it's
>> not a known problem I can then submit a PR.
>

> DEBUG_LOCKS, DEBUG_VFS_LOCKS, INVARIANTS, INVARIANT_SUPPORT, then
> 'show lockedvnods' and 'alltrace' from ddb via the serial console when
> it hangs.

Ok, I was easily able to duplicate this twice. The second time was by
accident, and rtorrent held the only locked vnode. Leaving top running in
a terminal, I was able to lock up rtorrent and then purposely lock another
process that was visible. Both locked in "nbufkv":

  1011 morganw       1  -4    0 73440K 20272K nbufkv   0:04  0.20% rtorrent
   996 morganw       1  -4    0  7592K  5084K nbufkv   0:00  0.00% pine

The full dumps from ddb can be found at
http://volatile.chemikals.org/ddb.txt.gz.

If there is no additional information that would be useful for a PR, I
can go ahead and create one.