Date:      Mon, 19 Feb 2001 15:19:45 -0600
From:      Andrew Hesford <ajh3@hecubus.bsdonline.org>
To:        FreeBSD-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: PS/2 mouse

Here's what I can tell from the moused man page.

Intellimouse is only supported for serial mice. All ps/2 mice must use
the ps/2 protocol, or use autodetect. Likewise, USB mice must use the
autodetect protocol.

The "No core pointer" error occurs when you try to access /dev/psm0 with
XFree86, while running moused... if you look closer at the error, you
will see some sort of permission or access problem. Set the XFree86
mouse protocol to SysMouse and use /dev/sysmouse to get mouse support in
XFree86.

Having the pointer not move can be caused by man things, including a
broken mouse. Having a crazy pointer jumping everywhere is a sure sign
of specifying an incorrect mouse protocol. Moused or you xserver will
misread the data the mouse sends to the ps/2 bus. I've had this error
many times.

If you want to get wheel support going, you'll probably need either a
serial mouse or a linux installation. I don't know of anybody who's
gotten a ps/2 wheelmouse working in FreeBSD, at least not while using
moused.

Good luck getting this all working.

On Mon, Feb 19, 2001 at 08:58:13AM -0800, Peter Shpak wrote:
> if you are starting the mouse daemon before you get to
> X then the mouse is at /dev/sysmouse
> i found that the best way to set up an IntelliMouse
> with X is to say the following:
>
> Section "InputDevice"
> # Identifier and driver
>
>     Identifier  "Mouse1"
>     Driver      "mouse"
>     Option "Protocol"    "Auto"
>     Option "Device"      "/dev/sysmouse"
>     Option "Buttons" "5"
>     Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
> EndSection
>
> the above makes the mouse wheel work as well.
>
> arz@iastate.edu> wrote:
> > I tried to hook a PS/2 mouse (IntelliMouse) to my
> > FreeBSD box and I couldn't
> > make it work with X 4.0.2. I did some experimenting
> > and I can't quite
> > remember particular symptoms with different
> > configurations, but problems
> > included:
> > - X server not starting at all (no core pointer)
> > - X server starting but mouse pointer not moving
> > - X server starting but mouse pointer jumping all
> > over the screen
> >
> > `cat /dev/psm0' usually resulted in `Device busy'
> > (that was the reason
> > why X couldn't see the mouse).
> >
> > The mouse was installed on irq12, detected during
> > boot, no flags passed
> > to the driver.
> >
> > I'm using a KVM switch, but I tried to use the mouse
> > with and without it.
> > Currently I have the mouse hooked up via the
> > PS/2---serial adapter, but
> > I feel that's not the Right Way.
> >
> > Any help will be appreciated.
> >
> > --
> >   ,oOo.Bc -=EE    Krzysztof Parzyszek
> > <hektor@iname.com> 11/29/2000 3:41pm
> > -'7' `L'                            ---Entropy isn't
> > what it used to be...

> message

Andrew Hesford - ajh3@chmod.ath.cx
"355/113 -- Not the famous irrational number PI,
 but an incredible simulation!"