Date:      Tue, 28 Nov 2000 22:11:18 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Tim McMillen <timcm@umich.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Which IDE CDRW for burncd?

Tim McMillen writes:

> > This weekend Best Buy advertised a Sony 12/8/32 for $150 after $80 of
> > rebates. Was there a few minutes after opening and snagged one. Forgot
>
> Bummer, can't believe I missed it.

Heard today a local friend headed out there on A Mission To Buy That
CD-RW and got one. On Tuesday. Not sure when the sale is over.

> > what the letters are before and after, but the numbers in the middle of
> > the model number is 160.
>
> Could you check the box as soon as you have a chance?  I'd be interested.
> Is it a spressa?  Probably others on the list would be interseted in the
> model number too.

CRX160E-A1 as in: http://www.storagebysony.com/products/crx160e-a1.html

Box says its a Spressa. Don't know what significance that has.

> Could you comment on the quality of it?

It doesn't shake the way the 32X Hitachi CDROM did when spinning at top
speed. It fit in my case. Connectors and screw holes lined up. It reads
everything I've asked it to. It has written everything I've asked it to
(about (8) 12x Memorex 650MB/74min CD-R's). Guess it plays music too
because NT tried to play a music CD I wanted to make a "working copy" of
for possible destruction in my car's glove box.

> > Took far less time to figure out "burncd -f /dev/acd0c -e -s 12 data
> > 4.2-RELEASE.iso fixate" than it took to install the $%^&@ Windows
> > software (which I waited until the next day to attempt). Installing the
> > Windows software was easier than running it.
>
> 	Hmm... thats sooo strange.  I've never heard of that on windows
> before! :) Does it lock your computer sometimes and refuse to let you use
> certain other hardware with it too?

I also have a Panasonic SCSI 7502 CD-R 8x read 4x write. The Sony "CD
Express" software says something about SCSI and might work with this
drive too (haven't tried). I need to find some nice short 12" or 18"
SCSI cables so I can connect my external DDS drive and my external
Panasonic CD-R at the same time. But have been thinking about hooking
both CD-R's up at the same time and try to make coasters by burning two
at once.

The CD Express package bundled with the Sony drive wants to use C:\TEMP\
for scratch but I have only 150 MB free on C:, 1,800 on F: so in Options
I set F:\TEMP\ and it still won't because "not enough space on the
temporary drive". Took about 30 minutes of trying every fool pretty icon
command before most the way across the command strip I got into the
"Disc Explorer" where I could view the current CD's tracks. And noticed
a button in the bottom right corner saying, "Global Image" or such,
something GI, which I noted earlier is the extension they use for their
disc images. Finally I could manually copy an image to HD. Then
elsewhere write that back out to CD. See how easy this GUI makes burncd
look?  :-)

I need to figure out the right way to read raw CD images with dd in
FreeBSD as after making a 4.2-RELEASE I thought to use dd to read it
piped into md5 to make sure it was the same as the image burncd used.
Believe it was shorter coming off the CD-R. Used to do this using
cdrecord to read the size of the image off CDROM, then subtracting two
2048 byte blocks from that, dd was happy and accurate. Think in writing
this I found my problem as "systat -v" showed 32k blocks being written,
I used 32k to read with dd, and fell short because an exact multiple of
32k wasn't written in the first place. At least that's my guess.

> Wow, I don't even know how to interpret the output of systat -v!
> Thanks for any detail you could give.

Much of systat is nonsense to me too, but bottom left corner of
"systat-v" is something I understand:

Disks   da0   da1  acd0   sa0   sa1   fd0 pass0
KB/t   0.00  0.00  0.00  0.00  0.00  0.00  0.00
tps       0     0     0     0     0     0     0
MB/s   0.00  0.00  0.00  0.00  0.00  0.00  0.00
% busy    0     0     0     0     0     0     0

Where "acd0" and "MB/s" (megabytes/sec) intersect was 1.76 most of the
time during the burn. The "KB/t" (kilobytes per transaction) line said
32. "tps" is Transactions Per Second.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net