Date:      Thu, 02 Jul 1998 05:00:32 +0000
From:      Donn Miller <dmm125@bellatlantic.net>
To:        Adrian Filipi-Martin <adrian@ubergeeks.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD equiv. of /proc/loadavg

ADRIAN Filipi-Martin wrote:

> On Thu, 2 Jul 1998, Donn Miller wrote:
>

> > Am looking for the FreeBSD equivalent of the Linux file /proc/loadavg.  I
> > want to use this instead of using getloadavg().
> >
> > I'm also looking for the equivalent of these.  This is what I think they
> > are:
> >
> > Linux         FreeBSD
> > =====         =======
> > /proc/meminfo /proc/curproc/mem
> > /proc/stat    /proc/curproc/status
> > /proc/loadavg ??? (probably /kernel)
> > /proc/uptime  ??? (probably /kernel)
>
>         Hope I'm not missing the point, but what's wrong with uptime(1)?
> There has been talk of a /kernelfs, but I doubt that will be happening
> anytime soon.

Well, I'm was looking to port some Linux apps that make system calls
like:

FILE    *fp_meminfo;
FILE    *fp_stat;
FILE    *fp_loadavg;

/*.....*/
 fp = fopen("/proc/uptime", "r");
        fp_meminfo = fopen("/proc/meminfo", "r");
        fp_loadavg = fopen("/proc/loadavg", "r");
        fp_stat = fopen("/proc/stat", "r");

And I needed some FreeBSD equivalent files to open in /proc.  An example
would be

 fp_stat = fopen("/proc/stat", "r"); /*Linux*/

 fp_stat = fopen("/proc/curproc/status", "r"); /*FreeBSD*/

And the /proc/uptime probably has no equivalent /proc entry in FreeBSD,
so would likely have to use /kernel instead.

Another example is the line:

fp_meminfo = fopen("/proc/meminfo", "r"); /*Linux*/
fp_meminfo = fopen("/proc/curproc/mem", "r"); /*FreeBSD*/

etc.  I just needed some FreeBSD equivalent files for porting from Linux
to FreeBSD, like for wine, some load ave. utilities in WindowMaker, etc.

--Donn