Date:      Wed, 29 Feb 2012 20:45:11 +0100
From:      Bernhard Schmidt <bschmidt@techwires.net>
To:        Fernando =?iso-8859-15?q?Apestegu=EDa?= <fernando.apesteguia@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-wireless@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: iwi firmware

On Wednesday 29 February 2012 18:06:43 Fernando Apestegu=EDa wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 10:09 AM, Bernhard Schmidt
> <bschmidt@techwires.net>wrote:
>=20
> > On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 23:20, Fernando Apestegu=EDa
> > <fernando.apesteguia@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I recently installed 9.0-RELEASE on my old laptop. I used the ipw2200
> > card
> > > in this laptop with 8.2-RELEASE without problems. However I have miss=
ed
> > > something I can't figure out. I get the message:
> > >
> > > iwi0: timeout processing command blocks for iwi_bss firmware
> > > iwi0: could not load main firmware iwi_bss
> > >
> > > This is what I have in my loader.conf:
> > >
> > > # Agree Intel's agreement license
> > > legal.intel_iwi.license_ack=3D1
> > >
> > > # wireless support
> > > #if_iwi_load=3D"YES"      This is in kernel now...
> > > wlan_load=3D"YES"
> > > firmware_load=3D"YES"
> > >
> > > iwi_bss_load=3D"YES"
> > > iwi_ibss_load=3D"YES"
> > > iwi_monitor_load=3D"YES"
> > >
> > > what am I missing?
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Hmm, there haven't been any major changes to iwi(4) between 8.2 and
> > 9.0, except what you've already noticed. You could try to remove
> > iwi(4) from the kernel config and use it as module again, just to make
> > sure it isn't related to that. Also, all modules iwi(4) depends on are
> > pulled in automatically, even the firmware modules, no need to load em
> > through loader.conf.
> >
>=20
> I copied GENERIC and removed the "device iwi" line. I rebooted but still
> got the same message. I also tried removing the iwi device and introducing
> the iwifw in the kernel (so I got a couple of complaints from the kernel
> when loading since I didn't change my loader.conf). Still the same error.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> > Can you post dmesg and pciconf -lvc?
> >
>=20
> Yes.

Thanks, nothing obvious in there though.

I played a bit around with an iwi(4) device on a i386 and a amd64 box
and I was not able to reproduce the issue you are seeing. This smells
like it's related to the laptop you are using, which model is that?

Honestly, I have no clue currently what is to blame.

Given that there were some ACPI/PCI bus changes between 8 and 9, mind
posting the pciconf -lb output for the iwi0 device?

You could also try to rule out as many automatic things as possible.
Remove everything related to wireless out of the kernel config, remove
the entries in loader.conf and rc.conf and run the following commands
after a reboot (no wlan modules should be loaded at that point):

kldload wlan_ccmp
kldload wlan_tkip
kldload if_iwi
ifconfig wlan0 create wlandev iwi0
wpa_supplicant -Dbsd -iwlan0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -B

=2D-=20
Bernhard