Date:      Sat, 22 May 1999 10:50:20 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Vince Vielhaber <vev@michvhf.com>
To:        Karl Denninger <karl@Denninger.Net>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
Subject:   Re: Suggestion...

On 22-May-99 Karl Denninger wrote:
> On Sat, May 22, 1999 at 02:33:51PM +0100, Brian Somers wrote:
>> > One other suggestion, while I'm at it.
>> >
>> > The "dgb" driver has been marked "alpha quality" for a LONG time.
>> >
>> > I've had a fax server running on a PC/Xe 8 port card (64k shared RAM)
>> > for well over a year on one of these cards - and have NEVER had a single
>> > problem with it.  That server gets a LOT of extremely heavy use, and
>> > if there were driver problems I would have found them by now.
>> >
>> > I'd suggest that someone drop the "alpha" byline on that one - its
>> > definitely stable :-)
>>
>> I plan on doing some work on it and the dgm driver.  They're almost
>> the same and should be merged.  They both violate style(9) in almost
>> every way too :-[
>>
>> I know of only one person with an Xem card (dgm driver), but he's
>> promised to send me the specs by snail mail.  Once I get them, I'll
>> start the work.
>>
>> Let's leave the `alpha' there for a little longer :-)
>
> What are you planning on doing with it?  Other than DDB support I can't
> imagine what could be *added* to the driver; it is one of those "just
> works" things right now.

Why not merge the two into a *new* driver?  Once it's running at an
acceptable level, drop support for the two old drivers.  That way if
something breaks, the current users still have the one that works.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH   email: vev@michvhf.com   flame-mail: /dev/null
       # include <std/disclaimers.h>                   TEAM-OS2