Date:      Fri, 21 Jun 2002 15:40:48 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
Cc:        Samuel Chow <cyschow@shaw.ca>, "Kevin Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Low impact, high value training?  (wish me luck!!)

Eric Anderson wrote:
> Samuel Chow wrote:
> >     Unfortunately, employers do not look at it this way.
> >     Everytime I read the career section of the local
> >     newspapers, they all want some certifications such as
> >     MSCE for jobs like network administrators.  As a FreeBSD
> >     user, I will never want to have these certifications,
> >     but it also means that I will never get those type of
> >     jobs.  Bummer.

At that point, those things are just "union cards".

> Well, I've found that while they put "MCSE or BS in blabl required", when it
> comes down to it, they'll hire a talented individual without the degree or
> papers.  Including my current position, the past 3 places I have worked have
> asked for BS in CS, and/or certifications, all of which I do not have.  I ignore
> the requests for those, and usually they do too (unless it's a bank or
> government organization - they are sometimes a little more picky).

Expect this to change a bit, and people to become more picky.
The normal reason for asking for things is so that you can sort
resumes into two piles: the "ignore pile" and the "manageably
small" pile.

With more IT people out looking for work, expect the worting
criteria to become more stringent, as people look for ways to
keep the "manageably small" pile the same size.

It's a shame that they don't pick a sorting criteria that means
that you can actually do the job.  On the other hand, it's
likely that the HR people feel that it's a shame that people
don't include such a criteria on their resumes in the first
place -- I doubt that this sorting method beats out "A-M on
Tuesday/Thursday, N-Z on Monday/Wednesday/Friday".

I'll give you an anecdote.  After my first day of kindergarten,
I came home pissed off, claiming to my mother that I would not
because "they would not give me arithmatic".  You see, I had
gone to school with this impression that there would be three
lines: one for reading, one for writing, and one for arithmatic,
and that, by standing in these lines and eventually getting to
the front, these things would be handed to you.

I think that if you go into a certification program with the
same attitude I had going into kindergarten, you will end up
with the same results.

On the other hand, I'm pretty cynical these days with regard
to even college degrees, when it comes to their value in being
able to accurately indicate ability.

My best advice for the original poster (who wanted to actually
learn something) is that college is the place to go, if you
want an environment where you can learn (that's "can", as
opposed to "will").

My best advice for job seekers is: route around the H.R.
department sorting process if you can do it.  Use friends
and your reputation, rather than trying to get through the
firewall by weight of certification, or what project you
happen to have commit priviledges on, etc..

-- Terry