Date:      Sun, 27 Jun 2004 19:50:13 GMT
From:      "Simon L. Nielsen" <simon@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-www@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: www/67554: man-cgi visual glitch on 3-word titles

The following reply was made to PR www/67554; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Simon L. Nielsen" <simon@FreeBSD.org>
To: Chris Pepper <pepper@reppep.com>
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org,
	Wolfram Schneider <wosch@FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 21:42:51 +0200

 --L+ofChggJdETEG3Y

 On 2004.06.03 22:46:41 -0400, Chris Pepper wrote:

 > Three-word titles, like "INTRODUCTION TO USB" in
 > http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=3Dusb&sektion=3D4&manpath=3DFree=
 BSD+4.10-RELEASE
 > & PRINCIPLES of OPERATION in
 > http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=3Dpolling&sektion=3D4&manpath=3D=
 FreeBSD+4.10-RELEASE
 > are inconsistently displayed.
 >
 > In the USB web page, " USB" is not blue underlined to match
 > "INTRODUCTION TO", which is. In the source, the b & a close tags are
 > after OF, rather than OPERATION.
 >
 > In the polling web page, " OPERATION" is not blue underined, while
 > "PRINCIPLES OF" is. Interestingly, "Principles of Operation" is
 > mixed-case and indented one level in the man command itself, while its
 > boldface and flush left on the web.
 >
 > Presumably this is a problem with man.cgi, although I suppose it
 > could be triggered by odd markup in the source.

 I just had a quick look at the source code for man.cgi.  It parses the
 output from man(1) and does so using perl at it's best/worst with a
 lot of regular expressions, so fixing this isn't simple.

 I just cc'ed Wolfram Schneider who is the original author of man.cgi
 and unless he has a quick fix I wouldn't count on this problem being
 fixed any time soon - it's just too much black perl magic :-).

 --=20
 Simon L. Nielsen
 FreeBSD Documentation Team

 --L+ofChggJdETEG3Y