Date:      Wed, 08 Dec 1999 20:56:04 -0800
From:      William Richard <wdr@tdl.com>
To:        stephen <schan_ca@geocities.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: xdm Configuration

stephen wrote:

> Hello Jonathan
>
> "xv -root -quit -rmode 5 /usr/X11R6/etc/Background"
>
> I got the "-root" part, but what is "-quit" and "-rmode 5" for ?

'-quit' tells xv to fall on the sword after it writes to the root window
(the background).  The X server won't change the root window again until
it's told to by a client.  '-rmode 5' translates as "display the image
centred on the root window against a black background."

The HTMLised version of the XV 3.10a documentation is at
http://is.rice.edu/~shel/xv-3.10a/ where you'll find more command-line
options for xv.

Cheers,
William Richard