Date:      Mon, 22 Mar 1999 19:15:18 -0700
From:      Jonathan Frazier <wolfnet@wolfnet-irc.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Packages

I started out on FreeBSD 2.2.5-RELEASE, then upgraded via CD to
2.2.6-RELEASE, then to 2.2.7-RELEASE.  Then I learned about cvsup, a
dream come true!  I upgraded to 2.2.8-STABLE.  Now after a month or so
of running 2.2.8-STABLE I decided to take my chances and be brave and
upgrade to 3.1-STABLE (scared me to death to be honest).  Now I have
done that and everything seems to be going ok, mostly.  My main problems
are dealing with all the hundreds of old packages that I still have from
2.2.5 and 2.2.6.  I have never been able to figure out ports, half of
them fail building on me.  I couldn't build the newest TK and TCL for
instance, so I am still using the old 2.2.6 packages for them.  That
would be ok, I can live with that....but half of the packages don't even
work on 3.1-STABLE for me now.  Is there any possible way to upgrade
packages?  Or even download all the newer ones blocked instead of having
to buy a new CD and try to sort through them?  Thanks for your help.

--
Jonathan C. Frazier