Date:      Tue, 30 Sep 2003 21:53:31 +0100
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott+freebsd@fishballoon.org>
To:        sn <sn7519@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xe0: watchdog timeout; resetting card on FreeBSD 5 current 0923

On Tue, Sep 30, 2003 at 07:57:06AM -0700, sn wrote:
> Hi All
> currently install CE3 xircom card into acer 370P
> notebook ... ,with proxim harmony oem wireless card .
> I have many a few changes in /etc/pccard.conf for the
> xircom ce3 (change irq to 10 or 3 )
> but still came out watchdog timeout ...
> (sometime it couldn't up the xe0 after bootup ,so I
> need to ifconfig xe0 -alias ,then ifconfig xe0 ip
> netmask )
> xe0: <Xircom CreditCard 10/100> at port 0x140-0x14f
> irq 9 function 0 config 1 on pccard1
> xe0: Xircom CE3, bonding version 0x45, 100Mbps capable
> xe0: DingoID = 0, RevisionID = 0, VendorID = 0
> xe0: Ethernet address 00:80:c7:0b:75:c4
> xe0: watchdog timeout; resetting card

This is a known problem with the xe driver - there's a bug in the card setup
that means the first attempt to send a packet always results in a watchdog
timeout.  The driver then does a hard reset and normally all is well.

I have a fix for this, amongst other things.  You can try to apply all the
patches from http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=kern/50644 yourself,
or wait for these patches to be committed, which I expect to happen soon.

> try to invoke this command
> pccardc dumpcis but came out 0 slots found

Are you running an OLDCARD kernel?  I'm not sure that dumpcis works with
NEWCARD yet.

	Scott

Scott Mitchell           | PGP Key ID | "Eagles may soar, but weasels
Cambridge, England       | 0x54B171B9 |  don't get sucked into jet engines"
scott at fishballoon.org | 0xAA775B8B |      -- Anon