Date:      Tue, 8 May 2012 07:13:47 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
To:        Bob Friesenhahn <bfriesen@simple.dallas.tx.us>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NFSv4 Questions

Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
> On Mon, 7 May 2012, Rick Macklem wrote:
> >>
> > It is my understanding that NFSv4 servers are not supposed to
> > require
> > a "reserved" port#. However, at a quick glance, I can't find that
> > stated
> > in RFC 3530. (It may be implied by the fact that NFSv4 uses a "user"
> > based
> > security model and not a "host" based one.)
> >
> > As such, the client should never need to "waste" a reserved port# on
> > a NFSv4
> > connection.
>
> Firewalls might use the reserved port as part of a filtering
> algorithm.

Hmm, since the IETF working group was determined to "get rid of this
bunk w.r.t. reserved port #s being used to enhance security", I might
argue that said firewalls were misconfigured/broken.

However, I can see an argument that, instead of silently ignoring the
option, it should be obeyed, but with a note in the man page that it
shouldn't be used for NFSv4.

rick