Date:      Wed, 29 Aug 2001 16:59:06 +0300
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
To:        Fernan Aguero <fernan@iib.unsam.edu.ar>
Cc:        FreeBSD Security <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: changed /dev/ttys is this normal?

On Wed, Aug 29, 2001 at 10:20:31AM -0300, Fernan Aguero wrote:
> Hi
>
> I started using tripwire to monitor for changed files on my system.
> I noticed that /dev/console and /dev/ttys were changed and the
> tripwire report showed the following:
>
> [...]
>
>  Modified object name:  /dev/console
>
>   Property:            Expected                    Observed
>   -------------        -----------                 -----------
>   Object Type          Character Device            Character Device
>   Device Number        160768                      160768
>   Inode Number         7208                        7208
>   Mode                 crw--w--w-                  crw--w--w-
>   Num Links            1                           1
> * UID                  fernan (1001)               root (0)
>   GID                  wheel (0)                   wheel (0)
[snip]

> Is this normal? If so, is it safe to change tripwire's policy to
> ignore this changes?

Yes, this is normal - the owner of a terminal device is always
set to the user who has logged in, so he can open it and perform
reads/writes/ioctls on it.

I believe that it should be safe to have tripwire ignore terminal
devices :)

G'luck,
Peter

--
"yields falsehood, when appended to its quotation." yields falsehood, when appended to its quotation.