Date:      Wed, 15 Jul 1998 10:34:46 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        elmore@sohopros.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Doskey?

>From: elmore@sohopros.com
>Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 11:56:11 -0500 (CDT)

>>Well, it would be nice if you could tell us what Doskey does.

>Doskey gives you the ability to use the up arrow to access
>the last command typed.

Ah; in that case, you'd want to examine the features of the program that
reads the command that was typed; in the case of UNIX, that's a "shell".

There are many shells available, such as sh, ksh, bash, csh, tcsh.  I'm
certain that tcsh has this ability, since I use it.  I believe I've seen
bash used in this way.

BTW, the "history depth" (how many commands to remember) is
configurable, and (at least in the case of csh and tcsh), it's also
possible to "pre-load" that history without actually executing the
commands.

Cheers,
david
--
David Wolfskill		UNIX System Administrator
dhw@whistle.com		voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (650) 371-4621