Date:      Mon, 5 Jun 2000 16:42:36 -0400
From:      Mark Abene <phiber@radicalmedia.com>
To:        "Koster, K.J." <K.J.Koster@kpn.com>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: JDK status?

On Mon, Jun 05, 2000 at 10:31:06AM +0100, Koster, K.J. wrote:

> > I was just curious how the effort was coming along in porting
> > the JDK to freebsd-alpha.
> >
> We are looking for people who are willing assist with the alpha architecture
> port. You may want to contact Steve Price or Greg Lewis or myself if you are
> interested in helping out. Steve has done some work, but have since become
> swamped by other activities.
>
> I have set up one of the Compaq testdrive systems with the FreeBSD ports
> that are necessary to build the port. (It's on the spe149, for those that
> have a Compaq testdrive account already.)
>
>     Kees Jan

I just checked your web page and would like to help in any way I can.
I'm learned in the ways of Alpha assembler.  I just wanted to point out
that an AlphaLinux port of an earlier JDK already exists, and it may save
us a lot of time to grok from it.  I e-mailed the maintainer, and he was
concerned as to what the current licensing issues are with Sun, since Sun's
latest JDK licensing agreement is preventing him from porting the latest JDK.
Since I'm not familiar with the current JDK licensing issues, I figured I'd
ask you.  Under what conditions do we as porters have access to the JDK 1.2.2
source code?

Cheers,
-Mark