Date:      Wed, 20 May 1998 12:28:54 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
To:        luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it (Luigi Rizzo)
Cc:        eivind@yes.no, kjc@csl.sony.co.jp, net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: struct ifnet handling...

Luigi Rizzo writes:
> > Sure.  This is a result of the initial implementation not being
> > chains-oriented.  There are a lot of rules that we're certain
>
> but "chains" can be emulated with relative ease and efficiency
> using optimized SKIPTO instructions. Possibly we can have a 'switch'
> type of instruction to speed up initial selections basing on source/dst
> interface, or protocol types (small sets, in any case).
>
> I am a bit reluctant on using pre-defined chains. it looks too high
> level, and i cannot tell very well if the mechanism is too strict,
> useful or overkill.

I agree. I think a lot of work can be done ``under the hood'' to make
the implementation faster, without affecting the user appearance.
Adding chains would torque the brains of every sysadmin out there who
has to re-do their entire rule set.

For example, we could easily "compile" the ipfw "program" into a
much faster, bit-mask-oriented "machine code" of some sort...

-Archie