Date:      Mon, 15 Mar 1999 07:18:49 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Greg Black <gjb@comkey.com.au>, Iani Brankov <ian@bulinfo.net>
Cc:        Freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Presentation format (was: How to get best results from FreeBSD-questions)

On Sunday, 14 March 1999 at 20:44:36 +1000, Greg Black wrote:
>> What about:
>>
>> - You sent a message in wrong language.	# ???
>
> To that you could well add:
>
>  - You used a character set other than us-ascii
>
> Lots of people filter out (or just don't read) stuff that is
> posted to English-language mailing lists when it is sent in
> weird character sets.

Hmm.  It's about time that English speakers started to use ISO 8859-1
or 8859-15 (I think).  -15 appears to be an update of -1, but I don't
have much in the way of information.  Anyway, these sets includes a
lot of symbols that are used in Western Europe, including currency
symbols such as £ and accented letters such as é and ö.  If these
don't display correctly on your screen, you should check what fonts
you are using.  I believe it works automatically under X, but if
you're still using the vts you'll have to load a font such as
/usr/share/syscons/fonts/iso-8x16.fnt.

Greg