Date:      Sun, 26 Mar 2000 07:56:22 +0900
From:      Mitsuru IWASAKI <iwasaki@jp.FreeBSD.org>
To:        winter@jurai.net
Cc:        iwasaki@jp.FreeBSD.org, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FIXED -->  Thanks! Re: ep0 eeprom failed to come ready...

Hi,

> You've totally not solved the problem.

I just want to get verbose boot messages by solving `eeprom failed to
come ready' and locking up problem quickly.  I also don't think that's
hack for true solution...

BTW, thanks for your explanations and advices.  I bought and install
FD drive, then configure my 509B NIC with 3c5x9cfg.exe in Non-PnP
mode.  Now I'm able to use it on 4-stable and 5-current (but still
have problems in PnP mode)!  As you said, my 3c509's EEPROM seems have
some corruption, that's why FreeBSD 4-stable and 5-current can't
handle it while it works fine on 3-stable or Linux with no problems.

With 3c5x9cfg.exe, I configured my NIC, IRQ = 10, port = 0x300, PnP
enabled first, I got following boot messages and networking very slow
because of IRQ (5) conflicts with my SB sound card (non-PnP ISA), I
suspect.

TCM5090: adding irq mask 0x9ea8
TCM5090: adding io range 0x210-0x3ef, size=0x10, align=0x10
	:
isa0: if_ep: <3Com 3C509-TP EtherLink III> at 0x300 in PnP mode!
	:                                       ^^^ configured io-port address
isa_probe_children: probing PnP devices
ep0: <3Com 3C509B-TP EtherLink III (PnP)> at port 0x210-0x21f irq 5 on isa0
                                                    ^^^ not 300   ^ not 10

So I configured my NIC again with 3c5x9cfg.exe to PnP disabled then OK.

Now I have a proposal.  How about the restoration of traditional isa
ep configuration like this?

device ep0 at isa? port 0x300 irq 10

Giving configuraion hints would be useful for NIC which has corrupted
EEPROM by long time usage or can conflict on resources with other
devices unkown by kernel.  I have 3 more boxes with 509B running on
3-stable.  None of them have FD drive unfortunately, so I won't
upgrade them to 4-stable.
# I probably install Linux for them in the future :)

This is my understanding what is happening now:

> 	- The PnP enumerator runs and identifies PnP devices.
> 	  - The 3c509 board is found and a device is created.

sys/isa/pnp.c:pnp_identify(), pnp_isolation_protocol(),
pnp_create_devices() and sys/isa/pnpparse.c:pnp_parse_resources() are
doing this, and output these messages.

Trying Read_Port at 243
TCM5090: adding irq mask 0x9ea8
TCM5090: adding io range 0x210-0x3ef, size=0x10, align=0x10

> 	- ep_isa_identify() runs and finds -the same board- and
> 	  pulls the last configured (with 3c5x9cfg.exe) settings
> 	  from the EEPROM.  The board is activated.

ep_isa_identify() reads settings from EEPROM and retrieves IRQ and IOPORT,
then just prints this without creating device if PnP mode.

isa0: if_ep: <3Com 3C509-TP EtherLink III> at 0x300 in PnP mode!

> 	- ep_isa_probe() runs against the device created by
> 	  ep_isa_identify().

Now in PnP mode, ep_isa_probe() can't be called because the device
wasn't created.

> 	- The PnP system activates the 3c509 device that the
> 	  enumerator found and assigns it resources.

sys/isa/isa_common.c:isa_probe_children(), isa_assign_resources()
determine resources to allocate for the device based on struct
isa_config entries created by pnp_parse_resources() (?), they aren't
the same as the last configured settings from EEPROM.  Unfortunately
assigned IRQ conflicts with SB card which not probed by kernel.
This makes networking very slow I guess.

Thanks!