Date:      Tue, 25 Mar 1997 05:37:42 -0800 (PST)
From:      asami@vader.cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        wosch@apfel.de
Cc:        wosch@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org, mita@jp.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: -current uudecode can't grok one of japanese/vfxdvi's distfiles

 * >Is this check really necessary?
 *
 * Yes. All characters outside the range are garbage/bitrot and
 * you get undefined results.

(see (1) below)

 * >This file used to decode fine with
 * >the old decoder.  Besides, I can't figure out for the life of myself
 * >which character it's barfing on.
 *
 * It use spaces (ASCII 32) in body.

Aah, I see.  Am I stupid or what, I was converting everything to space
to check! ;(

 * 				     Spaces are bad because
 * some mailers delete blank lines. Our uuencode never create
 * spaces. See 'The UNIX-HATERS Handbook', page 82-83

Ok, I agree that it's not a good idea for *uuencode* to use space (I've
heard about that too), but if files with spaces decode correctly, I
see no reason why we want to disable it in *uudecode*. ...(1)

 * I can add character 32 to the valid range for compatibility with old
 * uuencode programs.

Yes, please!

Satoshi