Date:      Sun, 24 May 1998 11:53:38 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   sd0(ahc0:0:0): MEDIUM ERROR

sd0(ahc0:0:0): MEDIUM ERROR info:0x2e389a asc:11,0 Unrecovered read error
, retries:4
sd0(ahc0:0:0): MEDIUM ERROR info:0x3be72d asc:11,0 Unrecovered read error
, retries:4
sd0(ahc0:0:0): MEDIUM ERROR info:0x3be72a asc:11,0 Unrecovered read error
, retries:4

These errors are not particularly informative to me (the uninitiated when
it comes to the SCSI driver under 2.2-STABLE).  Any suggestions as to what
this actually means?  Is this just a notification that the hard disk is
doing bad sector relocation in hardware, or is this a bus error, etc?

I do not know what the system was doing when these messages happened (a
remote server), but a sector number at least would be useful.

Thanks,

  Robert N Watson

----
Carnegie Mellon University  http://www.cmu.edu/