Date:      Mon, 18 Nov 2002 22:09:04 -0700
From:      <soralx@cydem.zp.ua>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Memory corruption in -STABLE on P4/2GHz

> SoboMax
> I'm observing very strange memory corruption problems with 2GHz P4
> system running 4.7 (security branch as of today). Under the load
> (make -j20 buildworld) the compiler or make(1) often die with signal
> 11. I found in mailing lists that there is similarly looking problem
> with -current, any chances that -stable is affected as well?

What CPU core you have?
I tested my system several times and found no problems: FreeBSD 4.6.2-RELEASE
NO 'options DISABLE_PSE'
CPU: Intel P4 2.0A Ghz, NW core, overclocked to 2.5Ghz
MBoard: Gigabyte GA-8IHXP, i850E chipset
RAM: 512Mb RDRAM 800Mhz

Run /usr/ports/sysutils/cpuburn, `burnP6` for a night. If it doesn't
coredump, run memtest86 for another night. This is how I tested my
overclocked system. With FSB frequency more than 125Mhz (+25Mhz),
`burnP6` dies with sig?? after some time, and 'memtest86' reports
errors. The same result is when I increase the frequency and don't
increase Vcc (CPU core voltage). Seems like the CPU doesn't get enough
power (check the 12V 4-pin power connector and the power supply) or
the memory is no-brand/overclocked.

>Robert Withrow <witr@rwwa.com>
>I had similar problems.  Terry Lambert reports that there is a bug
>in the P4.
not likely. why?

18.11.2002; 21:42:59
[SorAlx]  http://cydem.zp.ua/