Date:      Fri, 23 Jun 2000 18:17:51 +0300
From:      Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>
To:        James Shrenk <di0nys0s@earthlink.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org, astralblue@usa.net
Subject:   Re: updating TiK port

James Shrenk wrote:

> Dear ports maintainers,
>
> I have recently started working on updating the version of TiK currently
> included in the ports collection (0.59) to the most recent version currently
> available (0.87 http://tik.sourceforge.net ).  I do have some questions
> before I submit the changes in full to the ports collection both from a
> technical standpoint and related to etiquette:
>
> 1. I made an attempt approximately 2 weeks ago to get in touch with the
> original port maintainer (and I am cc'ing this to him now).  So far I've had
> no contact one way or the other.  I do have a long term interest in
> maintaining this port for FreeBSD as long as it is still being developed in
> the *nix community.  As a matter of politeness I still wish to credit
> astralblue@usa.net for his original work as I've used a great deal of it in
> updating the port.  That said, it is simply a matter of who to credit the
> updated makefile to, myself or the both of us?  Also, if I continue to not
> hear any word from the original maintainer, is there any sort of informal or
> formal process that I should go through in order to take over the
> maintenance of this port?

Hmm, from the quick glance at a cvs history for the port in question it appears
that MAINTAINER did not submitted any upgrades since early 1999
(http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/net/tik/Makefile). Given that fact
and his unresponsiveness to your requests I think we could assign this port to
you, as long as you have good will to maintain it.

> 2. On the technical side of things, I recall seeing something in the
> porter's handbook about making sure to explicitly state any change in the
> files present for the benefit of cvsup.  I am presuming that this does not
> include any files contained in the distfile itself, but I am wondering what
> it does include.  Perhaps I can simplify the question by adding that the
> current version of tik includes one *less* file in the port directory
> itself.  How does this relate to the PLIST?

This only relates to the contents of the port directory i.e. if you have
reduced/increased number of patches, deleted/added some files in tix/pkg,
tix/files etc.

-Maxim