Date:      Wed, 30 Jan 2002 23:09:15 -0500
From:      Tadayuki OKADA <tadayuki@mediaone.net>
To:        Mikhail Teterin <mi@aldan.algebra.com>
Cc:        Alexander@Leidinger.net, tadayuki.okada@windriver.com, will@csociety.org, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/graphics/gd Makefile pkg-comment

Mikhail,

If you don't understand this, I'll find someone to explain it to you.

On Wed, 30 Jan 2002 00:14:50 -0500 (EST)
Mikhail Teterin <mi@aldan.algebra.com> wrote:
> My proposal does not affect the (binary) upgrades. As stated before, the
> library number of  libB and the PORTREVISIONs  of both A and  B are only
> loosely  linked. Either  one  can  change without  the  others --  blame
> anything :)  Most typicly, port  B's PORTREVISION  will go up  while the
> libB.so's version will stay the same. You, probably, want the dependency
> to be as strict as
>
> 	LIB_DEPENDS=	port-B-<version>_<revision>
No, I don't want that.
My point is:
If you build port A linked against old major version of libB.so,
it won't work with new major version of libB.so.
But if it's built with older revision but same major version of libB.so,
and update libB.so to the latest revision after the port A build,
port A can use latest libB.so.

port A should generate same binary by default. But with your change,
if there is old major version of libB.so installed, it'll be different
binary. This won't happen as long as libB.so has same major version even if
it's older revision.

This is the problem.

> My proposal has even  less to do with _packages_ --  it only affects the
> ports-building.
If you don't bump port A's PORTREVISION when libB.so's major version is
bumped, we'll have several packages which have exactly same version
including PORTREVISION, but their binaries are different.
Porter's Handbook demands you to bump PORTREVISION when the package's
binary is changed.

BTW, I proposed to add optional knob to use your change,
what do you think about it?

> Without following each other's arguments we  may as well stop right now.
> I lost track of yours, and so did Alexander.
It seems Alexander got my point.

> I urge you to find someone,
> who understands them and ask him/her to rephrase them for us. Thank you,
If you still don't get it, I'll ask someone.

Regards,
--
Tadayuki OKADA