Date:      Tue, 16 Jul 2002 23:04:12 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Mills <jmmills@telocity.com>
To:        FreeBSD-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Question on order and targets of kernel and world builds

Hello -

I would appreciate a bit more information on the 'world' and 'kernel'
building process. Please point me at the right section of the Handbook or
Greg's book if there is a succinct description.

I have been doing 'CVSUP' followed by:

# make buildworld
# make installworld
# make buildkernel
# make installkernel

without really knowing if this was a useful order or exactly what I was
accomplishing with each target. My question is:

 1) Can I 'make buildworld' to create my tools and supporting files, then
 2) Use the newly made "world" to 'make buildkernel', and then
 3) 'make installworld; make installkernel' to install these new filesets
    for general use?

I would like to know if this is an acceptable and conservative way to do a
rebuild, and to better understand what I get at each step.

TIA for any guidance.

 - John Mills