Date:      Tue, 12 May 2020 09:51:03 -0600
From:      Alan Somers <asomers@freebsd.org>
To:        "D'Arcy Cain" <darcy@druid.net>
Cc:        freebsd-fs <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: RAID - hardware vs. ZFS

These days you're probably better off with ZFS software RAID.  It's fast
enough (easily 1GB/s on most modern hardware), rebuilds much faster for
mostly empty pools (though slower for mostly full pools), and handles hot
swapping well.  Unlike hardware RAID, ZFS RAID is robustly protected by a
Merkle hash tree of the entire file system, so undetected corruption is
virtually impossible.  And most importantly, the code is accessible and
open source, so problems can be fixed.  I haven't heard of any serious ZFS
RAID bugs, but even if one pops up it is at least possible to fix it.
That's not the case with HW RAID.  I've heard of multiple commercial
projects that failed just because of bugs in the hardware RAID that the
vendor couldn't or wouldn't fix.
-Alan