Date:      Wed, 22 Sep 1999 16:31:51 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Holling <myke@ees.com>
To:        skalir scalar <skalir@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: serial cable login

> I dont need to have a serial console, But i would like to know howto
> be able to login over a serial cable from one machine to another.
>
> I just need to know how to enable the serial login on the fbsd 3.X
> box... thanks

Edit the following entries in /etc/ttys:

# Serial terminals
ttyd0   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   vt100   on secure
ttyd1   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   vt100   on secure
ttyd2   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   unknown off secure
ttyd3   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   unknown off secure

Set whichever serial lines you want active to "on".  I have two serial
ports on my machine setup for serial logins.  To make the change take
effect simply do

kill -1 1

You'll need to have a null modem serial cable, in the US you can get null
modem converter blocks from Radio Shack.  It's best to first test out your
terminal using Kermit or another comm program on the unix box.

- Mike