Date:      Thu, 08 Mar 2012 08:37:27 +0100
From:      Peter Maloney <peter.maloney@brockmann-consult.de>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Deadlock (?) with ZFS, NFS

On 03/08/2012 07:02 AM, Garrett Wollman wrote:
> This is a 9.0-RELEASE system with the mps driver backported from
> 9-stable.  Hourly and daily snapshots were enabled.  It had been
> working extremely well up to this point, and we were looking at
> possibly replacing our existing NFS servers with this architecture.
On one system, (haven't tried it lately), it will hang a single dataset
if a Linux *client* mounts the zfs dataset and does:

cd /mount/point
ls .zfs/snapshot

So try that and see if it reproduces the problem.

Setting snapdir=hidden doesn't prevent accessing it, only hides it from
"ls -a" output.

The problem did not occur back when I had few or no snapshots. It also
doesn't happen on the replicated backup server, with all the same
software, data and snapshots.

So far, my hack solution is to mount /var/empty on top of every .zfs
directory on the client side. Another idea is to never export a whole
dataset from the root of it, because that is the only place that
contains the .zfs directory, other than if you have subdatasets inside
that one.

Peter Maloney
Brockmann Consult
Max-Planck-Str. 2